Thursday, December 1, 2011

In the Cover of a Magazine

..was not that part of a Madonna song? Well I felt really good when I got to open the envelope with the last number of "Jüdisches Berlin".

Juedisches Berlin
A few months ago I did some drawings from the Jüdische Kulturtage in Berlin (you can see them here). The organization liked the drawings and wanted to included in their magazine, but that didn't work since the magazine is black and white and the drawings were full of color. Instead they decided to commission me to draw a meeting of the board of the Jewish Community. The committee should be elected, and the drawing would be better to pass the contents of the next issue.

It was a hard task. The first problem I confront was the point of view. I had to exaggerate the perspective in order to fit the A4 format. The second decision was to choose the media, pen or watercolor. Pen has the disadvantage that it could be related to a cartoon. People don't feel comfortable to be portrait as a cartoon, so I choose watercolor being careful to to avoid a resemblance and concentrate more in an attitude or posture.

There were some many characters on the table. I took me a long time to finish it. But I am happy with the result.

1 comment:

  1. The committee should be elected, and the drawing would be better to pass the contents of the next issue.

    Knit

    ReplyDelete